Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Success in the Surprise

It was a borderline white lie. Although each carefully selected word in the text was true, it did not convey our true intentions. The message? An invite to a breakfast the morning I was supposed to be leaving for Virginia to go get my hubby from the airport. The reality? We had spent the last few days changing his return flight from Washington to get him to New York. The fun part? My brother and sister-in-law were completely in the dark. Why? It's just fun that way!

They arrived early Friday morning prepared to say goodbye to me after a light breakfast. Although in my heart I was bursting at the seams (because for one, my husband who had been gone for an entire month was not only finally home with me, he was hiding out downstairs!!) I still had to act like this was it. That after a month, I was leaving. This really was too much fun!

We all gathered around the table and prayed over the food. While no one was looking, I sent Strom his cue via text: "Come on up!" 


As everyone started reaching for strawberries and bacon, this cheerful voice came bounding up the steps! "I've got muffins!!!" Strom said as he appeared on the scene, with of course a basket of blueberry muffins! Jack and Jen just stood there in stunned silence. It was like the wind was knocked out of them! The rest of us broke into uncontrollable laughter as we watched the hilarious scene unfold.

It was in all actuality, freaking epic! We actually pulled off an insane surprise. And it was worth those borderline white lies.... :)


No comments: