Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Assignment: Portraits With No Communication

If you are into photography (or anything creative and adventurous for that matter) you just might like Chase Jarvis. He is an incredible (I know I use that word a lot, but I mean it each time!) photographer who is very open, honest and helpful to those hoping to get into the field, as well as those who already are. I've enjoyed following him a bit on his blog, learning as I go. 

Yesterday I stumbled across a post of his with an assignment to underscore the importance of communication in photography. (And let's face it, this could apply to all areas of life. Anyone in ANY relationship knows that without communication, you're going to butt heads on a frequent basis!). 

The Assignment
"I propose now that you go make several portraits of someone but entirely avoid communicating with them before or during the session. Now don’t snap voyeur images with a long lens – that’s not the point. Get in front of someone and shoot lots of pictures of them without saying anything. Seriously.

I see two scenarios in which this will unfold:

1) If you’ve got your subject’s undivided attention and can actually set up a basic portrait session (even if it’s your girlfriend, boyfriend, wife, hubby, friend, kid), do so except don’t tell them in advance what you’re doing, and once you start shooting don’t communicate with them at all for the duration of the sitting. Just take pictures. And when it gets weird, keep shooting. Remember: don’t prep them in advance that you’ll not be talking with them during the shoot.

or

2) If you’ve NOT got a subject’s undivided attention (more likely the bulk of us), just find a friend or a co-worker, walk right up to them without speaking or gesturing, and begin taking lots of pictures of them. And don’t stop. Use your big pro camera, or your point and shoot - it doesn’t even matter — even use your iphone or other camera/phone. The point is, just start taking lots of pictures – a mini portrait session if you will – unannounced, of someone you know. Paparazzi style. Keep it going for a good minute or three. Don’t get arrested or fired from your job or ruin someones day but just take pictures. [maybe you'll make someone's day??]. No talking, just pictures…

The Results:
Now is when I beg for your personal stories in the comments. If this social/photographic experiment is to have any application, we need your feedback. Even if it’s just a sentence. What happened? What was your subject’s response? Did they play along and “get it” or were they miffed, curious, annoyed, pleased, freaked out? What were the circumstances under which you started the session? And important: keep a mental tab on: a)what it felt like while you were shooting AND; b) if you can, what you thought the subject was feeling deep under their skin."

I immediately grabbed my camera; I had a husband. I could do this assignment right then and there! Oh sweet marriage, you are so convenient sometimes! (haha!) It started out just fine. He is such a great sport! He must be so used to me and my camera following everything around. He didn't seem too surprised or taken back by me being invasive... I wonder what that is supposed to mean...

 But... It ended like this. I can't blame him... I think I might do the same if I had no idea what was going on! 

My results: So, what happened? What was Strom's response? I'll tell you! As I previously mentioned, it started out great. I walked downstairs and found him on the laptop with "The Office" on TV in the background. He seemed to go along with his crazy wife in his face. He looked up a time or two with a side-eye, but he would go back to what he was doing as if I wasn't there. 

Personally, I felt weird! I am sort of a control freak (more control, less freak) and kept wanting to tell him to look at me. I felt like I was hunting a deer, staying silent waiting for a perfect shot. I got to the point where I started giggling - I couldn't get over how "okay" he was with me just sitting there, standing over him or circling around him. Honestly, it was hysterical. When the giggling grew to laughter is when he started looking at me, getting increasingly self-conscious. "I feel like you're the paparazzi, Babe." I had to agree with him... I felt like the paparazzi too. It was great. When the hood went up over his face, I knew my assignment was complete. I had to tell him what I was up to. He just chuckled and went back to the laptop.

3 comments:

Daniel and Cerissa said...

You two are so cute. And I have to admit, I loved seeing all the pictures of my little brother :D
I could use some photography help. I'll have to check it out!

Regan said...

Aw thanks!! There are a few really great resources if you want to dig into photography a bit more! Just let me know! =)

Barbi said...

love it! I believe it was years and years of my mom (dubbed the "camera psycho") that prepared Strom for this very moment in life... haha
I enjoyed seeing all those pics, too! I love how it all played out. Too funny!