Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes


For days now I have been dreaming of cupcakes. Don't ask me why, I don't even care much for cupcakes! (That's a lie, it's just that if I am actually going to splurge, it will be on something fudgy and gooey and sinfully decadent). So it is beyond me why when I close my eyes, I see a cute little bite-sized cake with perfect icing artistically swirling around the top...*Que stomach grumbling*

Maybe it is because they seem to be following me wherever I go! In D.C. last weekend we passed the Red Velvet Cupcakery on 7th Street on our way to District Chophouse for dinner. The cupcakes screamed at me from the store front window. I just wanted to go in and sneak one without Strom even knowing I left his side! I also recently discovered Diana Elizabeth, a brilliant wedding and portrait photographer who had her clients holding these in a photo shoot. I just want a cupcake. Give me the chocolate and no one will get hurt!

So when I came across this recipe (and photos) over on Elizabeth Anne Designs, I knew I had to make them. They look easy enough! (May I remind you, I'm not much of a baker. I can cook a mean entree, but dessert? Not so much).


Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes

Chocolate Cupcakes
  • 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 c. unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 c. buttermilk
  • 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3/4 c. warm water 

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners (Amy’s note: I always use baking spray with flour instead). With an electric mixer on medium speed, combine dry ingredients. Reduce speed to low. Add eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and water; beat until smooth and combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.

2. Divide batter evenly among 18 cups, filling each about 2/3 full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool 10 minutes; turn out cupcakes onto rack and cool completely.Cupcakes can be stored overnight at room temperature, or frozen up to 3 months in an airtight container.

Peanut Butter Frosting
Makes 3 cups, enough for 24 cupcakes or the top of 1 sheet cake
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into chunks and softened
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 2 tbsp heavy cream
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar

1. Beat the butter, peanut butter, cream, vanilla, and salt together in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until smooth, 1-2 minutes.

2. Reduce the mixer speed to medium-low, slowly add the confectioners’ sugar, and beat until incorporated and smooth, 4-6 minutes. Increase the mixer speed and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy, 5-10 minutes.

I'll let you know how they go! 

  Bon Appetit!  

6 comments:

Jen McDade said...

oh no you did not just share this recipe with me. Just when I'm starting to get used to cutting dessert out of my day! :P

Gretchen said...

*drooooooooool*

Regan said...

Hahaha I knew it would be a hit! =)

Jen - Hehe sorry! I'm feeling it too! I never allow myself sweets! haha Pick a special day in the near future (Valentine's?) and say "this is when I am treating myself and the next day it's over!" Works like a charm!

Barbi said...

YUM!
Cerissa made some cupcakes just like these last Sunday. She always raves about them.
I'm with you, Regan, forget the cake, give me the fudge! (unless, of course, it's a fudgey cake!) --and Cerissa's the same. :)

Daniel and Cerissa said...

Oooooohhhh man..... I LOVE my peanut butter cupcakes ;) I just posted a couple pictures of the shower I made them for on my blog (surprise, surprise, I actually posted something)-- www.cowgerfamily.blogspot.com
The recipe I use is a little bit of a cheat though... Fudge brownie mix with a Mini Reese's cup pushed in the center, then almost the SAME recipe for the frosting (it is DELISH). Seriously, everyone begs for the recipe, it's a huge hit! Enjoy yours because mine are all gone!

Regan said...

Yum!! I really need to make these now. You're all making me want cupcakes even more! (Love the Mini Reese's filling idea! That's brilliant!)