Friday, November 5, 2010

Butternut Squash & Apple Soup



Believe it or not, we are running at full speed toward the holidays once again. Can you believe they're here already?? At a distance it's a magical world of warm fuzzy feelings, delicious food, and twinkling lights. In the eye of the storm, it's more like running around like a chicken with its head cut off, endless amounts of stress, and way too much food consumption. Not to mention cleaning up from those dishes used in the food making process for the consumption. But the holidays are the holidays and I *love* them. 
I'm a giddy mess anticipating my trip home for Thanksgiving in two weeks!! I can hardly wait to be with my family once again ~ even if that means I'll be standing in front of the sink for a straight hour cleaning up from Thanksgiving dinner. 

Every year my mom and I attempt adding a new dish to the dinner menu, but mostly the staples remain. Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce (yuck), sweet potato muffins, etc. One year we attempted Maple Ginger Glazed Acorn Squash and while it was delicious, it took so long to make we had it after the meal was over! So to the staples we remain true. 

With ONE exception. The year of the acorn squash, I added a soup to the mix. We had never done soup with Thanksgiving dinner and I received a few side eyes from my family. But with my love for culinary pursuits, I insisted. Early Thanksgiving morning, I was up with my dad (as each year begins!) prepping away in the kitchen. All went smoothly until I realized I actually needed an immersion blender. I assumed I could get away without having one. But I was wrong. I needed it. Really needed it. It took TWO hours for my dad to blend the soup to a creamy substance. Such a cherished memory now, but certainly a frustration at the time! We stood over that pot using a hand mixer, straining, then mixing, and straining once again. What a sport he was!! But let me tell you, the soup was such a success that it is requested in advance each year. My sister-in-law has even added it to her own menu log in her house.  

In honor of Thanksgiving three weeks away (and my excitement anticipating it!) I share the recipe that has made the cut in my family's Thanksgiving menu! 


Butternut Squash & Apple Soup with Chestnuts

 

Ingredients:

2 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and
 thinly sliced
1 jar (32 oz.) butternut squash puree
2 1⁄2 to 3 cups chicken stock
1 large bay leaf
2 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
1⁄2 cup heavy cream
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1⁄2 cup heavy cream, whipped until just
 thickened (optional)
12 fresh chestnuts, roasted, peeled and
 roughly chopped

Directions:

In a small stockpot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and apples and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the butternut squash puree, 2 1/2 cups of the stock, the bay leaf and the 2 tsp. salt. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and discard.

Using an immersion blender, puree the soup in the pot until smooth. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve set over a clean stockpot. Stir in the cream and add more stock to reach the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Reheat the soup gently to serving temperature.

Ladle the soup into warmed bowls. Garnish each serving with a swirl of whipped cream and sprinkle with chestnuts. Serve immediately. Serves 6.


*Tips*

If you plan to hunt down puree, good luck. If you find it, you'll pay more for the puree than the entire recipes costs. What I've always done is buy it frozen and steam the cubes and throw them in a blender. Yeah, it's a little bit of work, but I promise it's worth it!! You can do it ahead of time as well, leaving the puree in the fridge for a day or two.

You can purchase an immersion blender and Bed Bath & Beyond or Target for about $20 (last time I checked). It's a $20 well spent, let me tell you.

Click here for directions on how to roast chestnuts.


 {Thanksgiving at my family's house! And note the bowls of delicious soup at each setting}

1 comment:

Jen McDade said...

You must have read my mind! I bought a butternut squash and all the other ingredients to make the soup this week. I just can't stand to wait until Thanksgiving! I also made it over the summer, when the squash was out of season! Hehehehe. Yes, I make it from wicked scratch, cooking the squash and all!