Thursday, January 13, 2011

Asian Food Market

When I lived in Maine, it was the diverse culture and food markets I missed most about living in New York (in addition to civilization, things to do, convenience and a social life...I kid, I kid...Sort of). Even in Virginia I don't have immediate access to awesome food markets, though the convenience is definitely appreciated. 

So when my brother and sister-in-law (Jack & Jen) took Strom and me to the Asian Food Market, I absolutely loved just walking around. If only I had a menu list for when we returned home I could have stocked up! 

Above: Some of those vegetables I have even seen before!
Below: And I have never seen so many noodles in one place!

 Yes...Those are almost-dead frogs. I don't want to know.

 Endless Tofu. Endless affordable Tofu.
 Jen's delicious egg rolls. I could go for one right now!
 I had to capture this moment for my own sake: My brother in the kitchen. I felt so proud watching him make his famous Pad Thai.
 Unfortunately... It didn't turn out quite as he had hoped. Whether it was the different tamarind or doubled portions that changed the taste, Jack was less than pleased with the finished product. I couldn't care less for the memories made were priceless! 

We had so much fun - even if the Pad Thai didn't turn out right. The laughs and memories were worth the trip, meal and night! 

2 comments:

Jen McDade said...

Yay! I love it! I think the problem was that we used tamarind concentrate instead of tamarind sauce. Last time we made it we were at the tail end of our tamarind sauce so it wasn't all concentrate and it still came out fine. Still seems to have done irreparable damage to Jack's pad-thai-self-esteem. But like you say... the memories are priceless!

Unknown said...

I look hot.