Tuesday, January 11, 2011

New Find: David Garrett

I'm all about finding new and amazing things, whether it be new recipes, movies, kitchen gadgets or perspectives on life. In this case, I (we) found a new musician that is now filling our home with incredible violin melodies. In fact, we are being serenaded at this very moment. 

His name is David Garrett. 

I first learned of his existence on New Years Eve when he performed on the Fox News New Years' show (which, by the way, blew my entire family away), and in a matter of days his albums were on our computer. He's fantastic to say the least. I grew up listening to classical music (Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Mozart,  Debussy, Vivaldi, Strauss, Wagner and Schubert - among others) so Garrett is a modern blast from the past. 

Garrett, a 30-year-old German-American classical violinist, began playing at the age of 4, was recording by the age of 13, was the youngest soloist ever at 14 and by 17 was playing world-wide. Not to mention, Garrett is listed in the Guinness Book of World Record as the world's fastest violinist, playing 13 notes a second. Interested yet? 

What sets Garrett apart for me (other than his insane talent of course) is his ability to take both timeless classics and current rock hits and make them brand new. From Beethoven to Metallica, David Garrett plays it all. 
And I am loving it.

No comments: