Monday, August 13, 2012

Anniversaries & Williamsburg Adventures

It was twelve hours before we had planned to leave for our anniversary getaway. Only, we had no idea where we were going! With LDAC, moving, unpacking, painting and everything else the last few weeks and months had held, we kind of, sort of, maybe, perhaps put making reservations on the back burner and ran out of time. Almost. 

I'm the kind of person that has to get a "feeling" from a particular event. I have to love a restaurant to want to eat there, I have to feel a connection to a city to enjoy it, I have to identify with characters and musicians to truly love their movies and music. I'm so strange, I know. It must be my crazy emotional self! This of course made choosing a place to escape to FAR too difficult, I'm not proud to say!! 

Strom had been wanting to go to Williamsburg, Virginia for two years now, and though I adore the place (I've been many times as a kid!) I couldn't ever bring myself to go for our anniversary - our only getaway time each year. Why? I'm a weather weenie. That's why. It's too dang hot in August! 

Due to our time crunch, I caved this year. I caved miserably and could not be more thrilled that I did! We found a last minute deal at the Boxwood Inn (more on that soon!) and had thee most fantastic time together in Colonial Williamsburg (I mean come on, it's history, a quaint town, amazing restaurants, and endless fun. That's. So. Me! It's my Disney World!). 

It was a whirlwind of fun - and in one full day, we got the full experience - Something Strom was a newbie at! From reenactments, to delicious dinners, outlet shopping at night, running at sunrise, delicious B&B breakfasts, to big bands on the square... it was the perfect way to spend our anniversary! I don't know why I didn't cave sooner.

I realize there are way too many photos here, but if you understood the level of my love for Williamsburg, you'd realize there are dozens I didn't even add! ;) I hope you enjoy a peek into Colonial Williamsburg!

 I think I might just move in... I mean... come on! It's beyond adorable!!
 Strom and I have this thing for boxwood. It smells amazing! We're weird, I know!

 The Governor's Palace - One of my favorite things in Williamsburg! (The gardens in particular!)  
 Like I said... the gardens! 
 A little time out for some lunch at the extremely adorable Cheese Shop! 
 I had one of those journals when I was a kid! 
 And I still have the soap balls... :)
 General George Washington made an appearance at the end of the day! Only heck yes. 
 Truly, a night can not get more perfect than an Air Force big band in Merchant's Square on a cool summer night in Colonial Williamsburg, the perfect date by my side... and of course, getting all prettied up! :) With a delicious meal to follow. Perfection. F'real. 
We could not have asked for a more wonderful second anniversary together!! Can't wait to go back!

2 comments:

Daniel and Cerissa said...

I want to go there!!!!! Thanks for all the cool pictures... I will have to live vicariously through you two until Dan and I can travel to the East Coast someday... someday... ;)

Regan said...

Oh you MUST come to the East Coast someday!! And go to Williamsburg! You and the boys would LOVE it! Truly. I'll come with you! :)